Monday, June 6, 2011

Four Years Ago Today...

From my blog four years ago - the post was titled "The best birthday ever" and was posted on June 7, 2007.

I got a huge surprise yesterday for my birthday. Here it is:






















And our first picture as an engaged couple:


































How it happened:


First of all, this was a total surprise. We had talked about this and even looked at rings (he got the ring I had fallen in love with). But we had talked about the end of the year, so I had no idea that's what he had cooked up for my birthday. I arrived at Brian's house at about 6:15 in a nice dress ready to go out to dinner. When I got there, there were candles everywhere. I was a little suspicious but at the same time I just thought that he was trying to make the house look nice and do something nice for me. His birthday is June 7th so we were planning on exchanging gifts there since we were spending his birthday with his family.

He sat me on the couch, and he gave me the most wonderful card I could ever imagine. I said "thank you for everything", or something to that effect because he'd sent me beautiful flowers to work and was pre-ordering the next Harry Potter book for me. We had agreed to keep things simple so I wasn't expecting anything else.

Then he asked me to close my eyes while he got my gift. At this point I was thinking maybe he got me gear for our bikes or maybe something bulky for the house. I still had no clue what was coming. Then he put on some really nice music (Journey's "Open Arms"), and when I opened my eyes he was kneeling in front of me with this white box. At that point, I lost it. He hadn't opened it yet, but I knew what was in there. It was our future.

The ring was more beautiful than I remembered. And the moment was more incredible than I could have ever imagined. We both cried. And I'm not sure I ever verbally said yes, I just shook my head like crazy and then let him put the ring on my finger. After recovering from the shock, I called all my family starting at about 6:22. Then we went to dinner and celebrated this amazing event. I even got to share the news with my sister, who is in Australia. It was so wonderful and I couldn't be happier to be sharing the rest of my life with this amazing man. And needless to say, I wasn't all that disappointed in not getting my Harry Potter book.

No comments:

Post a Comment