Saturday, March 3, 2012

My Favorite Meatloaf

Meatloaf is one of those things that I tried variations on looking for the right recipe, and once I found this one, I never strayed. When I made it last night I realized I had no idea where I'd found the recipe so I wanted to capture it here in case I ever lost my printout. I think what makes this so good isn't the base as much as it is the tangy glaze. I also think it's key to let it rest for about five minutes before slicing. Meatloaf is a somewhat time-consuming meal to make due to the baking time, so it can be tempting to just pull it out and slice it. But the resting period really helps the juices distribute evenly throughout so it doesn't dry out.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 medium clove garlic, minced
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon basil
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (I always use dry)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 pounds of ground beef

Glaze
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon hot sauce (I use about half this so it's not too hot for Madeline, or I leave it out entirely)
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar

1. Heat the oven to 375.
2. Cover a broiler pan with foil and cut holes for the fat to drain through.
3. Heat butter in a skillet and add onions and celery. Cook until brown.
4. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
5. Whisk eggs in bowl. Add soy sauce, mustard, worcestershire, breadcrumbs, salt, basil, parley and pepper.
6. Add ground beef to the mixture. Combine thoroughly and then transfer to broiler pan, forming a loaf.
7. Bake 45 minutes.
8. When there's about 10 minutes left, combine all glaze ingredients and heat in a small saucepan until thick.
9. Add the warmed glaze over the top and put back in oven for 15 minutes.
10. When done, remove from oven and turn broiler on high. Add more glaze and put under the broiler for about 5 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and allow to sit 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment