Friday, April 12, 2013

40 by 40 - Good Deed 25

I'm creeping in on 40! I have a little less than two months to go for the last 15. Think I'll make it!

Today I once again utilized my company's matching donation program to support a friend's fundraising efforts for the March of Dimes. I like to give to organizations that have impacted my friends' lives, and this is no exception. Sara and I were roommates at FSU in 1992 and 1993, and we've kept in touch via Facebook. Here's her story and why I was so moved to donate:


As you know, we fundraise every year to support the March of Dimes and their efforts to make sure every baby has a healthy chance at life. This year, we are getting a late start, but still plan on walking.

As many of you know, this effort is a personal one as both Ethan and Maia are preemies. Ethan was born at 24 weeks gestation with less than a 20% chance of survival. His survival was made possible by extremely strong will on his part, dedicated doctors and nurses, lots of prayers, and surfactant, a drug that helped his tiny immature lungs inflate to breathe at birth. Surfactant research and drug trials were made possible by funding from the March of Dimes.

Knowing I had a high risk of repeating preterm labor, the doctors gave me a weekly injection of progesterone-17 shot while pregnant with Maia. That shot has been shown to decrease premature labor by about 30% for women in my risk group. I was able to keep Maia growing in my womb until nearly 36 weeks. While she is a preemie, she sure doesn't act like one. Research on the use of progesterone-17 for high risk pregnancies were also funded by the March of Dimes.

The March of Dimes is continuing to fund research projects to help improve the outcomes of babies born prematurely, to prevent premature births, to educate about signs and symptoms of premature labor, as well as to support families in the NICU. Without the generous support and donations from people like you, none of this would be possible.

Good luck Sara, Scott, Ethan and Maia!

No comments:

Post a Comment