Sunday, January 9, 2011

Finished: Home


























I listened to the audio book of Julie Andrews' biography "Home", and it was like she was in the car there with me telling me her story. I loved this book. My only complaint is that it stopped off right as she was cast for Mary Poppins, and I desperately wanted to know more. Some of the fascinating things I learned about here are:

1) She is great friends with Carol Burnett, and Carol is the godmother to her first daughter.
2) She turned Bing Crobsy down when he invited her to go to the Rose Bowl game and sit in his private box because she was very shy and didn't want to embarrass herself.
3) She wasn't born Julie Andrews. Her parents split when she was about 10 years old, and her mom remarried and changed her name.
4) She was great friends with T.H. White, who wrote "The Once and Future King." She met him when she was getting ready to star in Camelot, and she became friends with him, even buying a summer home on the small island where he lived.
5) Her family relied heavily on the money she made as young as the age of 15 to help pay for their home. When she turned 19 (I think that's the age), she actually bought the house from them to keep them from losing it.

Just a few of the tidbits I learned listening to this wonderful woman tell the first part of her story. I can only hope there's another book coming that picks up where this one left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment