Saturday, January 26, 2013

Beef and Garlic



Beef and Garlic (Low Fat)

We've had a lot of low-fat Mexican food this week, which is ironic because it's probably my least-favorite type of food. I only eat some select things, and I explored several ways to make them much more diet friendly this week.

This turned out yummy. I tweaked it from what I found online because I didn't have everything it asked for. 

1 lb. sirloin steak, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can chopped water chestnuts (recipe called for 3 cups chopped bok choy but I couldn't find it)
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 cup chopped tomato
1/3 cup beef broth
3 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp oyster sauce (I didn't have this, so I added an extra Tbsp of soy sauce)

1. Combine beef and garlic in bowl and chill for 10 minutes.
2. Place large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray; heat until hot.
3. Add beef and garlic, and saute about 5 minutes, or until beef is done.
4. Remove beef from stove and keep warm.
5. Combine water chestnuts (or bok choy) and green onions and saute for about 2 minutes.
6. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 3 minutes until slightly thick. (Note: I didn't think mine was thickening so I mixed a little cornstarch with cold water and added it to the pan. That did the trick.)



No comments:

Post a Comment