Saturday, January 12, 2013

Giving the House a Pinterest Makeover

In between multiple bouts of the stomach flu, colds, fevers, teething, holidays and more, I snuck in a few home organization projects - with lots of interest from Pinterest.

How did I never think of using an over-the-door shoe holder for things other than shoes?!


This one is in our overflow closet. Keeps the dangerous stuff behind a closed door and 
out of reach from little hands.


Another one in the pantry for stuff we typically need to be able to grab and 
get on with other things - water bottles, bibs, snacks, etc. 


I found these free printables and put them in some inexpensive frames above the pantry. 
I love them. The colors even work well for us. 



This one is simple but helpful. I had paper plates, plastic silverware and such stuffed in 
several places. Now it's all in one place. And I adjusted my shelves so that 
my large platter for my China sits very safely between the shelves.



I wish I'd taken a before pic of the pantry so this would show how improved it is. But frankly, I was so ready to pull everything out I just didn't slow down long enough to do it. 

Top shelf: Cereal; long bin with rice mixes, pasta, etc; green bin holds Charlotte's food; plus there are some other snacks up there too.

Second shelf: can goods (all of which have been inventoried and logged); bin holding oils, bulk spices, flavored oils, etc)

Third shelf: bin with sweeteners and mix-ins; bin with dry goods; small basket with some assorted spices; bin with drink mixes

Bottom shelf: Oversized jars for flour and sugars; snack bin; sweets bin




 My new, custom freezer inventory that better matches our needs (and now I don't have to rewrite everything since this is typically what we have on hand)


My new meal plan calendar (adorable calendar printables free at thetomkatstudio.com)


We have a big, multi-shelf rubbermaid closet thing in our laundry room to store supplies. It was also a mess. Now the full shelf of random meds and personal care stuff has been narrowed down to a few, well-organized and labeled bins.


And one more shoe holder.  This is on the back of the laundry room door. 
I get a lot of body wash, hair stuff, etc. for free or almost free, and it ended up shoved in the cabinet. 
We never really knew what we had unless we pulled it all out.  Now when we need something, it's easy to see what options are available.


I know that nothing I've done is revolutionary, but sometimes browsing through pinterest and seeing how others have organized their homes gives you the kick in the rear you need to do it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment