Thursday, February 28, 2013

Crockpot Barbacoa

There's no picture of this because it was so good we didn't slow down long enough for me to take one. Also, I cooked it overnight instead of all day because I always get a little anxious when trying a new crockpot recipe that I'll come home to a pot full of jerky meat, so I didn't prep the plates right out of the crockpot.

This was easy to prep and tasted amazing. When you see the peppers in the recipe - don't panic if you're not a fan of super spicy food. The intensity cooks down and just gives the meat a nice, smoky flavor. I'm a wimp when it comes to spicy stuff, and I could have used the sauce as a soup by the time it had cooked.

Ingredients
3 - 4 lb beef chuck roast
2 limes, juiced
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (just the peppers, not the sauce)
4 garlic cloves
1 heaping Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup beef broth (I used reduced sodium since it called for adding salt)
3 bay leaves

Directions
Combine lime juice, vinegar, peppers, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cloves in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth.

In large crockpot, add roast and pour puree and broth over the top.

Cook on low for about six hours. Remove beef from crock pot, shred and place back in juice. Remove bay leaves.

Serve on a tortilla with your favorite toppings, or you could even use it in enchiladas. It's super yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment