Sunday, January 4, 2015

Classic Hummus (Pioneer Woman's recipe, slightly modified)


3 cans Garbanzo Beans, rinsed and dried
1/4 cup Tahini (she called for 1/3 cup plus another Tablespoon - it's pretty high in fat and calories so I tried it with the smaller amount and thought it was good this way)
3 cloves garlic
1/2 whole lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin or more to taste
salt to taste
(fresh basil or Italian parsley-I didn't include this because I totally forgot and it didn't seem to matter )
3 Tablespoons to 5 Tablespoons cold water
1 Tablespoon olive oil

Combine beans with all ingredients, except water or olive oil, in a food processor. Pulse until mixture because somewhat smooth and combined, but do not over mix.

Add water as necessary to facilitate blending. My mixture seemed really thick so I started right off with 3 T of water.

After it's nice and smooth, add olive oil and pulse no more than three times. You only want to mix it throughout, not continue to over puree the mixture.

Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to three days.

This made 4 cups of hummus, and I made my servings 1/4 cup. Here's the nutritional content for it based on my modifications and portion size.



No comments:

Post a Comment