Wednesday, May 20, 2015

It's Time for a Change

One week ago, I started the FIT Medical Weight Loss program. I know it's not for everyone, but I needed to do something to make some serious life changes. Walking in the door, I weighed more than I did when I went into the hospital with Madeline. And that was unacceptable. I wasn't doing my girls or Brian any favors by indulging at every turn, but worst of all - I was hurting myself.

I was surprised I didn't get emotional during my first visit. And that may have been because I had already realized that this was something that had to happen. I knew that my health was impeding my ability to be a good mom and wife - as well as keeping from being the best "me" I could be.

My decision was also sealed by seeing myself in pictures during our Disney trip. I recognized the smile and the eyes, but the rest of it wasn't me. I have always been heavy and struggled with my weight, turning to food in times of good and bad. But something in those pictures flipped a switch in my head.

FIT's program is a high-protein, low/no carb and low calorie program that is supervised by a doctor. I am there every week for check ins, and in my first week - I lost 10 pounds! I made it through the girls' birthday party without touching the cupcakes - except to move them from the box to the cupcake stand. I didn't have any of the stuff I knew I couldn't. I had a few celery sticks and that was it. And here's the crazy thing - I didn't feel unsatisfied. I let the joy of the event take over me and didn't mindlessly eat.

This is an exciting and scary journey, but I feel like the progress I've taken these first steps are really good.


No comments:

Post a Comment