Wednesday, May 23, 2012

7 Days and Counting


Today was my last monitoring session and ultrasound. As I sat there reflecting on the fact that they said it looks like Charlotte is in the ballpark of 8 pounds, 10 ounces, I thought about my joy at being at the tail end of my pregnancy.

And then it sank in - "I'm at the end of my pregnancy."

And the reason it really started to hit me was because I'm at the end of my last pregnancy.

If I was younger, I'd consider having a third child in a few years. But 40 is just around the corner, and while many women in my family and Brian's have given birth later in life, I don't think that's the path for me. Going into this pregnancy I hoped and prayed that it would go smoother than with Madeline. I desperately didn't want to be on bedrest, and I've made it. I'm 38 1/2 weeks and bedrest free. My health has been good. Charlotte's health has been good, and I feel so blessed.

But at the same time I thought about how even though I spend a lot of time thinking about how much my swollen feet hurt and how tired I am of the unending heartburn and how glad I'll be when I'm not pregnant and those things go away, I realized there are other things that will also go away.

      I won't be able to feel a baby thump around in my belly or feel when they have hiccups.

      I won't look down and see a big belly knowing that I'm growing a new member of our family.

      I won't get to hear that little heartbeat through the monitors when I go in for doctor's appointment.

Even though I won't have those things anymore what I will have is even better - two beautiful, healthy and happy little girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment