Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Growing Bigger By the Day


















I had what will probably be my last full ultrasound today. I still have very quick ones each week up through delivery to make sure fluid levels are ok, check Charlotte's breathing, etc. But today was the last growth scan where they do the more in-depth assessment of her development. And what an eye opener it was!

 We have known all along that she has been measuring ahead (meaning she has been bigger than the average child at each stage of gestation); however, today they figured out that she's already approximately 7 pounds, 9 ounces. Four weeks ago she was 5 pounds, 5 ounces. She is in the 83rd percentile for size at this stage, and she's measuring what babies at 38 weeks, 1 day measure even though she's 36 weeks, 3 days.

 So now the loaded question - will that impact my due date? The answer is no. Right now, there's no medical reason for my doctor to move my delivery up. People have big babies every day, so the only reason they'd make the decision to schedule me for delivery earlier is if something was wrong. So from that standpoint, I hope she doesn't have to schedule me earlier.

 Now that doesn't mean that my body won't go into labor naturally on its own. From here on out, if I was to go into labor on my own, they would not do anything to stop it. I have to admit I'm not one of those women who has loved every minute of pregnancy. I'm so over the swollen feet (which Brian has said look like I'm muffin topping my shoes), back pains, leg pains, excessive heartburn and general discomfort. For over a month my right thumb has been tingly and numb because something is pressing on a nerve and cutting off full circulation. But I know every bit of it is worth it because I'm growing a person. So Charlotte, if you ever read this, please don't think mommy is tired of you already. I'm just tired of all the side effects that come with giving you a home for nine months :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment